1. ATTENTION EXISTING USERS: If this is your first visit to the new forum, you must reset your password. Please go to http://cobrakitcar.net/lost-password to reset your password.

Dismiss Notice

FAST EZ-EFI 2 replaced my 780cfm QFT carb

Discussion in 'LS-427' started by barryb, Jul 8, 2014.

1. barryb

barryb Member

I finally bit the bullet and swapped my 780 cfm QFT carb with the FAST EZ-EFI 2 system. wow, what a difference. quick starting, excellent acceleration and no more boiling fuel in the carb bowls in winter.

2. sleal

sleal Member

Wheres the pictures? :D

3. barryb

barryb Member

Sorry, have not had a chance download them. They will be posted soon.

4. barryb

barryb Member

5. barryb

barryb Member

6. TexasDoc

TexasDoc Member

Cool! I'm replacing my 351 with a 408 and an going to put on the holley terminator system. Looking forward to it.

7. Luce

Luce Member

You can't beat the cold start and throttle response of EFI. I can't imagine living with a carburetor in this century... not true, my 82 D350 has one and I'm planning to transplant a 05 hemi and electronic transmission into it when the weather cools a little.

8. barryb

barryb Member

TexasDoc,
    congrates on upping the cubic inches under the hood. the 408 I have was built by Keith Craft. I have put over 14,000 miles on it over last 3 years and have had no issues with engine. I spent the last year or so tuning the QFT carb with trying different air bleeds, primary and secondary jets and air feeds in the emulsion curcuit using an Innovate Motorsports LM2 for tuning. I got it pretty close to where I wanted but the boiling fuel during winter months causing the carb flooding was what made me switch over to EFI. The Holly EFI and the FAST EFI were my finalist in my choices.The color data display, E85 capability and timing control option was what swayed me to FAST EZ-EFI2. Both are great products in my opinion. please post your progress on your engine swap and EFI install.

9. Roush #1

Roush #1 Member

Barry,
    Please tell us more about what you were monitoring and your experiences with the Innovate LM2.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jody

10. barryb

barryb Member

I kept it simple, I just monitored the RPM with a clamp-on induction pickup and the A/F ratio. I was able to record my runs and play them back. I finally purchased an Auto Meter wideband digital A/F meter and mounted it under the dash. This made it more convientent to make runs and then adjust the carb. with the LM2 I was able to get a stable base tune on the carb. with the wideband A/F I then could tweak the A/F ratio of the low to mid RPMs by swapping the idle air bleeds. The Auto Meter A/F gauge is much easier to read while driving than the LM2. I took the kit of idle air bleeds on my test runs. after a test run I would stop and swap the air bleeds on the side of the road or where ever I could pull over and not get hit. a few times I pulled the metering blocks off and made changes. a rag to catch the gas from the bowls was very handy. luckily no gas hit the headers,no fires. I still use the AutoMeter A/F gauge to check against the A/F reading on the FAST EFI. I have a split plane manifold. one O2 sensor on each collector. It was quite a learning experience tuning the carb. I had no idea the complexity of how the air and fuel mix within a carb. the emulsion curcuit, dang!

11. barryb

barryb Member

first runs showed very lean A/F ratio

improved with many trial and errors of swapping air feeds, air bleeds, main and secondayr jets along with the idle needles vlaves.

Attached files 4710-2171.doc (177.5 KB) 4711-2171.doc (178.5 KB)

12. TexasDoc

TexasDoc Member

I am about to put the heads on the 408. It is a slow build since the 351 runs ok and it is driving season. I've never had this carb where I like it. It runs great one day, then sounds like it is missing the next. I've "tuned" it so many times and get it running smoothly, then the next time I drive it, the idle is off and the power is down. I'm ready for the stability of EFI.

13. TexasDoc

TexasDoc Member

Barry, where did you mount the fuel pump?

14. barryb

barryb Member

I replaced my Holly 125 with the Walbro that came with the kit. the fuel pump is mounted horizontal on the frame by the driver side rear tire. I used a AN 8 feed with an inline SS filter. from the pump to the engine is 3/8" aluminum tubing with AN 6 fittings. the pump is somewhat higher than the bottom vally of the fuel tank where the pick up is, but I have no problem with cavitation that I know of. I don't let the fuel tank get below a 1/4 full. there is an inline fuel filter after the pump that I mounted inline before the CNC black anodized aluminum Y that has the fuel pressure sensor on the firewall. The CNC aluminum Y came with the kit. I will post a few pictures.

15. barryb

barryb Member

Dang-it. I hate getting old. I have CRS. Can't Remember Sh*t. I mounted the pump vertically on a 3x3 angle iron I welded on the frame for the Holly 125. I tried to mount the pump horizontilly but ran into issues. Also, seems I had run out of AN 8 fittings for the feed and used AN 6 half way, but it is AN 8 line from the tank to the inline filter. need to order AN 8 fitting to replace the AN 6. I ran a tie-wrap covered by fuel line from the frame above to support the inline fuel filter and AN 8 hose.

Attached files 4726-2171.jpg (150 KB)

16. TexasDoc

TexasDoc Member

Ok, thanks. I've been having trouble figuring out where to mount it since it requires to be below the tank. I found a spot, right behind the passenger seat (outside the cockpit) at the bottom of the support rail. I'm having a time trying to get the filters mounted - still working on that.

17. barryb

barryb Member

so, there's no good place to mount the inline filters to the frame or rail? just be sure nothing hangs too low, the bottom of the gas tank does not have much ground clearance. hate to have the pump or filters get taken out by road kill or whatever you drive over. How are you going to route the fuel line from the bottom of the tank over the rear axle to behind the rear passenger seat? seems the fuel line will have to go up and over to rear axle. if I understand where you are mounting the pump and filters.

18. TexasDoc

TexasDoc Member

Yes, I'm going up over the axle with the fuel line before the pump. All the instructions say to put the pump below the tank, but don't say anything about the fuel lines not going up there. I figure that as long as I don't get air in the line, it should be ok. I'll just have to remember to keep the tank from running low, and have enough gas for the "sloshing" effect when on the track. I had my old pump plumbed this way and didn't have a problem (Holley blue).

19. cobrapilot

cobrapilot Member

There's plenty of room for fuel pumps and filters on the outside of the frame behind the rear wheels.
    Here are 2 fuel pumps and a tractor style filter mounted there.

[​IMG]

20. barryb

barryb Member

ok, I finally got off my butt and relocated the fuel pump. I mounted the pump as low as I could and horizontally. Then I replaced the 90* -6AN fitting with all -8AN fittings to feed the it. I replaced the -8AN prefilter with a 100 micron SS mesh cylindrical type filter insert rather that the SS mesh disk. I also added a 10 micron post filter. The FAST EZ EFI came with an inline filter which I had already mounted in the engine bay. Having the pump so low and exposed I made a cover which I hope will protect it. I started the engine and check for fuel leaks. None were found. I hope to take a test drive this weekend. I had also replaced the front lower control arms with LSC's new beefed up control arms, installed a mesh screen in the oil cooler duct and closed off the oil cooler duct from behind to keep air flow under the car to a minimum. I'm looking into making and installing some sort of air dam also. I bought from Tractor Supply hay bailer rubber belting and will see what I can come up with. I found that someone has already designed and installed the same sort I am looking to make out of aluminum plate, hay bailer belting and square steel tubing framing.

Attached files 4779-2171.jpg (42.9 KB) 4780-2171.jpg (30.7 KB)

21. cobrapilot

cobrapilot Member

Nice job with the protective cover. I was going to do something similar, but I'm thinking about having to tinker with it on the side of the road. If I have to take off a bunch of stuff for a cover, might make repairs more difficult. I might just make an easily removable plate to go there and cover the pumps from road debris. I'm going to have to relocate the high pressure fuel pump and some stainless fuel line after the IRS install anyway.

Rick

22. barryb

barryb Member

Thanks Rick. I thought the same thing about all the fasteners after I sat back and looked at it after it was all done. For the three years I've been driving it I have not needed to work on the fuel pump on the road. I may later remake the cover with fewer fasteners......

23. barryb

barryb Member

6 months and 1500 miles on the road with the FAST EZ-EFI 2 and no issues. Just easy starts and great performance. I bought a set of the Ranger BL-5000 Quick Jacks a few months ago and they make working under the car much easier. though I had to weld a 1/4" thick pads to each corner of the frame so the rubber pads the frame sits on have enough surface to rest on. The jacks barely fit under the side pipes, but once fully extended, almost two feet under the car. Nice.

24. cobrapilot

cobrapilot Member

[​IMG]

Same fuel setup, rearranged a bit to accomodate the scratch built iRS. It's a thing of beauty.

25. barryb

barryb Member

looks really good. how's the IRS holding up? better ride I bet.

26. cobrapilot

cobrapilot Member

So far so good. Next I'm going to rebuild the front suspension. The LS lower control arms are a bit short for my wheels, which makes the tires too far inboard. Going to fabricate new lower control arms and change the uppers to SPC brand. Also new wildwood spindles.