1. ATTENTION EXISTING USERS: If this is your first visit to the new forum, you must reset your password. Please go to http://cobrakitcar.net/lost-password to reset your password.

Dismiss Notice

Need measurement. FE eng. to shifter.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by 427HISS, Aug 26, 2010.

1. 427HISS

427HISS Member

I need someone that has a FE engine to measure from the back of the block to the apx. area of the shifter. Keisler is coming out with a new 5-speed transmission, based off the Tremec, but will be shorter and have three positions for the shifter location. I will be the first street test dog for Cobras. The owner would like a measurements from directly under the dash to the tunnel, middle and past the middle.

I would appreciate your help, as I don't have the engine installed.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. 427HISS

427HISS Member

Anyone ? I need the numbers fast.

3. Roush #1

Roush #1 Member

Not many Lone Star folks are using FE engines.

4. dwj

dwj Member

Hiss,
    I have 468cid FE motor in an 01. Do you still need dimensions? Unsure based on your post what dimension you want.

5. 427HISS

427HISS Member

Great !
    What tranny do you have ?

I have a 2000 model. The owner of Keisler needs a good idea on where the location of the shifter will be on the tunnel. He needs measurements from the back of the engine, to where the shifter will be. I

I would just measure from the back of the block or head, to the fire wall.
    Then measure inside the cockpit, from the the fire wall to maybe a few different measurement's on the tunnel, where having a shifter would be comfortable. The Tremec and this new tranny, have 3 different shifter locations for us to choose.

Please do not,.... talk about this about this transmission, other than to us LSC guys until I get aproval, as they have not released the tranny to the market. I wiill be testing it in my cobra. It's simular to this McLeod. Click on the link for information & photo's. It is shorter, lighter and not as wide as the Tremec.

http://www.stangtv.com/forum/mcleod-hit ... -6035.html

[​IMG]
    How & where the rail system is located, is what makes smaller than the Tremec.
    [​IMG]

6. dwj

dwj Member

Did a couple quick measurements this morning. These numbers are close, I would not build the space shuttle based on them. Back of block to firewall at an elevation where the intake meets the block = 6.25". Firewall to center of shifter hole = 20". Firewall has carpet.

Had my wife hold the tape mearsure above the car and did an eyeball from between the two points and got 28". I could get more precision, but not until after the weekend.

I am pretty sure I have a Tremec 3550. There are no markings on the casing that are of any value. There is supposed to be a tag on it. It is a tremec. I have more torque than it is rated at but do not think the input shaft is ever realizes that amount with our light cars.

Sorry I do not know for sure, but I did not build this car, just replaced a lot of stuff and tried to get a good handling car for the track.

7. 427HISS

427HISS Member

" I would not build the space shuttle based on them. "

Funny @hit ! :lol: