1. ATTENTION EXISTING USERS: If this is your first visit to the new forum, you must reset your password. Please go to http://cobrakitcar.net/lost-password to reset your password.

    Dismiss Notice

New pedal assembly

Discussion in 'LS-427' started by Anonymous, Oct 31, 2015.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Member

    The original pedal box has always been a weak spot on my 2006 LS427 so I decided to convert to one of the "off the shelf" assemblies. Since I had Tilton master cylinders and they had a great price on some fancy Al pedals, it was a no brainer. The big challenge, aside from my complete lack of spare time, is that the pedal assembly is designed to be braced against the fire wall from above the pedals. The LS427 puts them right below the dash so I had to get creative.

    After playing with some different ideas I decided that the best way to do this would be to fabricate a brace that would mount under the attachment points closest to the firewall and above them in the rear. Other ideas I had required too much room to the sides or would need to be welded in place, never to be removed again. It became obvious that doing this in square tube would require carefully controlled angles so I laid everything up in CAD. At that point, it wasn't that much more work to machine them out of billet Al. So...

    Each brace has a steel insert rather than trusting the Al threads. The cross plate was necessary, but I couldn't resist adding a little bling to it. In the midst of all this I changed over to a hydraulic release bearing. If you haven't done this, I highly recommend it. The new HRB will need a pedal stop of some kind so I'm still working on the final parts of the assembly.

    Removing the original pedals also eliminated my redneck engineering brake light switch. It was just a random chunk of sheet metal with a normally closed button attached, but it worked about 10 times as long as the pressure switch. Never fear, a little more CNC machining and I had a fancy, adjustable bracket to hold a similar button that works even better than the original.

    A word of warning: The original pedal box caused more than a few problems. Not the least of which was that he geometry was so far off that I had to rebuild all the master cylinders due to non-coaxial forces they were placing on the pushrods. Closer inspection showed that I was essentially running with the rear brakes alone. That's one failure aware from having no brakes at all... Serious stuff.

    Attached files 4789-1852.jpg (38.3 KB) 4790-1852.jpg (32 KB) 4791-1852.jpg (35.1 KB) 4792-1852.jpg (36.1 KB) 4793-1852.jpg (43.7 KB) 4794-1852.jpg (38.5 KB) 4795-1852.jpg (132.9 KB) 4796-1852.jpg (23.3 KB) 4797-1852.jpg (32.4 KB) 4798-1852.jpg (41.8 KB) 4799-1852.jpg (34.3 KB)
     
  2. Skuzzy

    Skuzzy Member

    Nice work!
     
  3. Luce

    Luce Member

    Now THAT's a pretty corset!
     

Share This Page