1. ATTENTION EXISTING USERS: If this is your first visit to the new forum, you must reset your password. Please go to http://cobrakitcar.net/lost-password to reset your password.

Dismiss Notice

Tugboat Fast!!

Discussion in 'Race Talk' started by Reptyl, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Reptyl

Reptyl Member

Today at the Texas Mile Larry went 177.7mph on his warm up pass!! I'll let him tell the rest of the story...

RT

2. Guess you are gonna have to finish the story Randy!

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Sorry Guys,

Just got to the computer!!! In the GT at the Texas mile I was going to just do a 150+ mph easy warm up run. Tony Jacobs and I had noticed alittle vibration from the rear tires on the way there at around 140. I was worried it would ruin our times and day if it got worse at high speeds. I was the 4th person to run. I staged and the butterflys in my stomach were numerous. I launched really bad. Spun the tires in 1st so I hit 2nd and really got sideways. I am thinking now that I have blown this run. I hit 3rd and really hooked up. Shifted perfectly at 6200 rpm into 4th then 6200 rpm into 5th. I notice speedo is climbing rapidly and pucker factor is reaching new levels. I go thru the lights at 177 mph and lift of accelerator and foot lightly on brake and all hell brakes loose. There is a loud squeal followed by a boom. I think tire has gone flat and I have visions of Nascar and going end over end. Then I realize its not that and shut the engine down. I coast to a stop and find the supercharger pulley GONE!!! Belts disentergrate and tear up some coolant lines and a few other things. Lots happen at 177. Thats the end of the Texas Mile for me. We spend the next day and a half going back to Houston and getting the truck and trailer. Pulled it apart today and the Whipple had seized and the pulled was then broken off.

The car launched correctly and under the right circumstances (temp and no head wind) would have gotten close to 200 mph. Maybe next year.

Larry

4. Skuzzy

Skuzzy Member

Woah! Sounds like a short-changer to me. Glad nothing but the mechanicals took a dump Tug. :)

Did I just make a pun? It must be Monday.

5. kenwat

kenwat Member

Sounds like fun. Sure would have liked to be there.
    177 sounds like a good beginning.
    kenwat

PS The Nascar boys don't have speedometers I think it would scare them to know how fast they are going :lol: